I just returned from an awesome weekend at the Oregon Coast. We stayed in a beautiful house, ate a ridiculous amount of amazing food and had a relaxing time. All girls, no husbands or kids…. FUN!!
I signed up for dinner on Saturday night and chose to do Mexican… my ultimate fav! One of my best friends, Sherry made her enchilada casserole with a traditional red sauce (so good and one of my favorite dishes in the world). I decided to brave a new recipe and make chicken enchiladas with a creamy green sauce. I was too lazy to roll them so I just layered everything casserole style. The result was amazing and I had several requests to put it up on my blog so here goes:
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup chopped Spanish onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped green chile peppers
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 dash ground cumin
12 (8 inch) corn tortillas
canola oil for frying
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast meat
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1. Prepare salsa verde: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft. Stir in the flour. Add the broth, then add the chiles, garlic, salt, and cumin. Simmer about 15 minutes to blend flavors, add heavy cream, heat through and then set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
2. In a heavy skillet, lightly fry tortillas in shallow oil, being careful not to make them too crisp to roll. Combine the cheeses and keep 1/2 cup aside for topping. Dip each tortilla in salsa verde (both sides.) Place 2 heaping tablespoons chicken and about 2 tablespoons cheese down the center of each; roll and place seam side down in a shallow dish.
3. After all the rolled tortillas are in the dish, spoon additional salsa verde over them. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture, and with the green onions.
4. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Notes: I put a bit of the sauce at the bottom of the pan. Then layered the tortillas, chicken, cheese and sauce repeating 3 times. I increased the baking time to 30 minutes.
* Not my actual photo. Photo from recipe source: Allrecipes.com