A brunch favorite that can be made the night before.
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
2 tablespoons butter
8 7-inch flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3-4 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (, for topping)
avocados, sliced (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, cook mushrooms, green onions, and chopped peppers in butter until tender, and drain.
2. Divide mixture evenly among 8 tortillas, spooning mixture into center.
3. Divide the 1 1/2 cups cheese evenly among tortillas.
4. Roll up tortillas, and place seam down in a 2 quart greased baking dish.
5. In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, flour, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce.
6. Pour mixture over tortillas in dish.
7. At this point the dish can be covered and chilled for 2 to 24 hours before baking.
8. To bake immediately:Bake in a 350 F.
9. oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
10. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup cheese over the top and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
11. To bake after chilling: Increase baking time to 45 to 50 minutes.
12. Sprinkle cheese over top and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
13. Cut into squares to serve.
14. Serve with salsa and/or avocado if you like.
Note: When I made them in advance I make everything but the egg mixture and then the next morning I make the eggs and pour them on top and bake as directed. I’m afraid having the tortillas sit in the egg mixture overnight would create soggy tortillas.